The Macon County Historical Society
was incorporated on May 26, 1937. It was formed to collect, preserve,
and arrange historical, religious, scientific, and educational material
relative to the beginning, growth, and development of Macon County Missouri,
and to establish a repository or library to make available such information to
the citizens of Macon County.
In January of 2006, the City of Macon entered into an agreement to provide the Blees Annex Building to the Macon County Historical Society to become the future Macon County Museum. The building commonly known as the "Blees Annex" was actually the gymnasium of the Blees Military Academy and was completed in 1900.
The Blees Military Academy was built by Col. Frederick Wilhem Victor Blees, and was considered to be the West Point of the Midwest. The three story brick building is Romanesque in style. R.G. Kirsch was the architect of the building. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. After the death of Col Blees, it became the
Still-Hildreth Osteopathic Sanatorium. This was the world's first osteopathic sanatorium. The National Guard was the last group to inhabit the building. The building had not been in use for several years, and volunteers have worked hard on interior renovations to create a grand museum as well as a genealogy site. Each town and village, even those that no
longer exist, but only in memory, are represented.
The Macon County Historical Society is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Donations to the Society are tax-deductible.
Information available through the Macon County Historical Society Genealogy Library: funeral and cemetery records, marriage, school, church, organization, plat map and old probate files, etc.
For information, call 660-651-6814 or 660-651-0051
For military donations, call 660-349-9134
For genealogy requests, email , call 660-395-5032 or fill out a research request form